Monday, June 4, 2012

A manifesto of sorts: A brief look at me

5227181510_ea72505a89_b_large

I am a tall, curvy, curly haired almost nineteen year old.

I am the oldest of seven children. Even though that's outside of the norm these days, I wouldn't want my family to be any less crazy. I could go on and on about my family. Yesterday was my parents' twenty-third wedding anniversary. They are just as in love with each other as they were twenty-three years ago, and they have no shortage of love to share with each of us kids.  I love them like crazy.

I've had the same best friend since I was seven years old.  We are so different but so much alike.  She longs for a acreage in Montana.  I'd love a little flat in NYC.  We both enjoy playing our music a little too loud, dancing in the car, bonfires, laughing, and just hanging out.  I don't know what I'd do without her.  She's my sister.

I did everything in high school.  I started varsity basketball and volleyball three out of four years. I was in band and choir. I was in the plays, in national honor society, and class president my junior and senior year. I was student body president my senior year, and homecoming royalty. I like to think I was friends with most people in my small high school, or at least I got along with most, but I was never "popular" thank goodness for that.  I was fine with my little circle of friends who just got me and who'd always have my back.  I graduated valedictorian of my class.  If you search the internet hard enough you can find the speech I gave at graduation on youtube, weird as that is. (Thanks Uncle Tim. Can't wait for my future employers to see that little gem.)


I now find myself done with my freshman year of college, and I've emerged from that first year a better me.  And I've made some pretty amazing friends to boot.  I am so blessed.

I am a terrible speller.  I am clumsy as hell.  I cherish the little things.  I grew a half an inch in the past year.  My hair has a mind of it's own.  I am too competitive for my own good.  I'm a neat freak.  I love to laugh.  I secretly wish I liked coffee.  I love chick flicks.  Hate scary movies.  I love to read.  I love to sing.  I'm Catholic born and raised.  My faith is incredibly important to me.  I smile at random people I pass on the street.  I strike up conversations with strangers in the supermarket.  All in all I just want to do my part, no matter how small, to make this world a better place.

Always,
L.A.

1 comment: