Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My friend, the night.



Here I am again, sitting at my desk in front of my computer, only the late night to keep me company.  I spend a lot of my nights like this, the only soul not smart enough to be asleep at this hour with my morning classes quickly approaching.  But I like my late nights.

I'm quite in love with them to be honest.

As surprising as it may be, the silence of the night makes great company.  It leaves me alone with my thoughts.  Gives me space to work or read. To be moved or inspired.  Or just simply be.

The most beautiful part of the night though, is the irony I've come to see in them.

One is so alone at night.  There isn't a person around to bother you or interrupt you.  You can be completely selfish without a shred of guilt.  No one is there to distract you from whatever it is you deem worthy to occupy this sacred, peaceful time.

Yet one is really not alone at all, at least not during the late nights in my dorm.  My roommate soundly sleeps only feet away from me.  Behind the wall I'm facing my neighbor is doing the same.  I need only peer out of my room and down the hall at the never ending row of doors to realize how far from alone I am on nights like this.

I only need to close my eyes though and I am alone once again.

Dwelling here in the peace that is the late night.  Pondering the meaning of life.  Or not. At least wondering how I'll make it through my chemistry test Monday.  Or class tomorrow.  Or the rest of this week.

Alone with my thoughts and my charming friend, Night.

Here is where I find my sanctuary.
          Have you found yours?

Always,
L.A.


                                           Photo courtesy of http://www.joeyocch.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment