Monday, June 24, 2013

Rain, rain, go away...

Here we are talking about the weather again.

"Was it raining up there this morning too?"
"Yes. For a little bit."

The conversation is so mundane it makes me want to scream and pull out my hair. I don't want this. I want to talk about big things. Things that matter to me or to you. I want to tell you I'm sick of small talk. I know you don't care how work is going for me just as much as I don't care how the work day is treating you. I want to know what makes you tick.

What never fails to bring tears to your eyes?
          What is something you wish you could just forget?
                    What makes you smile from the top of your head to your toes?

I won't ask you those questions though. I'll just keep the small talk rolling enough to remind me there is another person on the other end of the phone. At least for today.

You never know what tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

  1. I love this...and I feel like this SO often. I never know how to get past the small talk and actually discuss things I care about. It's not very easy.

    ReplyDelete